Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Brian Eno -Apollo- Atmospheres and Soundtracks

Apollo- Atmospheres and Soundtracks
If you've ever wanted to experience weightlesness, buy this recording. It is truly atmospheric, elegant, and downright beautiful. There are also some rather frightening moments (I think)contined in "Matta" which is worthy of the best sci-fi soundtracks.
The ultimate piece on this CD is "An Ending (Ascent)". It is simply one of the most breathtakingly beautiful "songs" I have ever heard. The first time I heard it, I knew I wanted to become a musician. It's simplicity and aching beauty is something I've tried to recreate in my music, but haven't quite topped this. I've listened to this piece I would estimate in the thousands of times, and it still takes my breath away.
Also interesting are the "Soundtracks" Silver Morning and "Deep Blue Day" which, if played at 45 RPM (back in the olden days) show that these are essentially slowed down "country-western" songs. A brilliant use of the studio, synths and treatments.

He has many more great recordings (Ambient 1, Neroli, Ambient 2:Plateux of Mirror (w/ Harold Budd),the list is endless. This is a must have!
very Trippy!

No comments:

Post a Comment