Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Captain Beefheart -Trout mask replica

Trout mask replica
Like many folks the first listening was jarring and my initial thought was "what the heck? This is awful!" I gave it another chance though and upon further listening I find this album rather charming. It is a combination of blues, jazz, rock, spoken-word beat-like poetry with a dust bowl ballad kind of ambiance. The music will at times feel familiar, as if it may go in a conventional direction, but it won't. It will turn, twist, contort and will go to crazy places. The most off-putting aspect for me is Captain Beefheart sounds a lot like Wolfman Jack, the disc jockey and TV personality of the 60's and 70's.

So if you are safely cocooned in your likes and dislikes of music and are happy with your trusted bands, don't come near this cause you won't like it. If you are like me and are looking for something different this may be for you just to shake things up a bit. And I agree with a review I read somewhere, a negative one I believe, that after listening to TMR you will listen to and appreciate other more "conventional" music even more. This was meant as a put down but I believe it is a compliment. Everything sounds different to me now since I listened to TMR. So give TMR a try if you are in a musical rut or are feeling adventurous.

Clearly these guys were working outside all limitations of musical style and format. But like classical composers who think all good tunes are cliche, if you refuse to make music then it's not music. Of course fans of this album are fine with that even though some would still refer to this album as a different kind of music. Shaking off the chains of convention is a declaration of freedom, just don't try to call it music. Music must be musical. If everything can be anything then nothing means anything.

Preferred Trendy Chemical Amusement aid for this Album:
Cocaine

No comments:

Post a Comment